- Peace Brigades International is an organization committed to practicing nonviolence in conflict areas. Volunteers respond to requests for protective accompaniment from individuals and groups threatened with political violence. Volunteers must be at least 25 years old and able to commit for seven months. Contact PBI/USA, 2642 College Ave., Berkeley, CA 94704; (510) 540-0749.
- L'Arche Mobile needs live-in assistants. We seek to create communities of peace where adults who are mentally handicapped and those who help them live, work, and share their lives together. Contact Martin O'Malley, 151 South Ann St., Mobile, AL 36604; (334) 438-2094.
- Community workers needed! Many other North American assignments are available as well. Candidates must be committed to Christian faith, peace and justice, and community living. Room, board, and other personal benefits are provided. Contact Mennonite Voluntary Service, Box 347, Newton, KS 67114; (316) 283-5100.
- The Oakland Catholic Worker, a hospitality house for Latin American immigrants, seeks full- and part-time workers for direct services, resource development, community organizing, and public education. Spanish language skills are preferred. Workers receive room, board, and a modest stipend. Contact OCW, 4848 E. 14th St., Oakland, CA 94601; (510) 533-7375.
- VESS, a program of the Texas Catholic Conference, provides laity the opportunity to serve the life of the church in Texas by ministering to the needs of parishes, agencies, and schools that are economically disadvantaged. Interested volunteers must be 21 years or older, and will receive room, board, and a monthly stipend. Contact Barbara Price, VESS, 3001 S.
Read the Full Article
Already a subscriber? Login