The Sojourners’ Fellowship Program is a leadership and professional development program dedicated to Christian discipleship, community, and vocation. Participants live in an intentional, Christian community and work alongside a departmental team at the Sojourners office in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Washington, D.C. Celebrating its 36-year history, program alumni have made a lasting impact on the social justice movement in the church, the United States, and around the world.
Eight to ten participants are selected into the program each year. People from all life stages and career paths are welcome. The program is designed to be a holistic experience focused on the following:
- Life and Faith: Fellows live together in Washington, D.C. and experience life as an intentional Christian community: sharing meals, a common budget, weekly house meetings, and prayer.
- Prayer and Discipleship: Fellows participate in weekly faith and justice seminars during work hours, monthly chapel services with colleagues, and three community retreats.
- Work and Vocation: Fellows work full-time in the ministry of Sojourners. Each participant is placed in an entry-level position in one of our departments and is paired with a mentor. The positions commonly offered through the program are:
- Advertising Assistant
- Campaigns Assistant
- Circulation Assistant
- Communications Assistant
- Donor Services Assistant
- Online Editorial Assistant
- Multimedia Assistant
- Magazine Editorial Assistant(s)
- Summit/Administrative Assistant
Sojourners provides all housing, meal, local commuting, and health insurance expenses. Each fellow receives a $175 monthly stipend (after tax), as well as $200 upon successful completion of the program.
Application Qualifications: The program is open to anyone 21 years or older who has work permission in the United States and a Social Security number. Married couples without dependents are welcome, but both individuals must apply and be accepted into the program. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity. Fellows must commit to serve the entire program year: Aug. 17, 2020 – Aug. 6, 2021. Before applying, please read more about the program and Sojourners’ mission on our website at www.sojo.net/fellows. Please understand the commitment needed before applying.
How to apply: Complete the application online or download and fill out the Word version and return to Sojourners. The application has four parts. Only completed application packets will be considered.
- Individual application
- Writing sample or personal essay
- Resume (no cover letter not needed)
- Three (3) Recommendation Forms: peer, clergy/faith leader, and employer references.
The deadline for applications is February 15, 2020. Interviews will begin in April. Send completed application materials via: email (email@example.com), fax (202-328-8757) or mail to Sojourners Fellowship Program, 408 C Street NE, Washington, D.C. 20002. Thank you for your interest in the Sojourners’ Fellowship Program.