The Sojourners Fellowship Program is a leadership and professional development program dedicated to Christian discipleship, community, and vocation. Participants live together in a shared Christian household and work alongside a departmental team at the Sojourners office in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Washington, D.C. Throughout the program's 40-year history, its alumni have made a lasting impact on the social justice movement in the church, the United States, and around the world.
For more information about our program, please go to our FAQ Page.
Applications are currently closed for the 2023-2024 cohort. This page will be updated when information about the next application cycle is available.
New for the upcoming 2023-2024 cohort beginning in August 2023:
- Increased monthly stipend to $700
- Smaller cohort with each fellow having a private bedroom
- Flexible, group-directed communal expectations
- Renovations to fellows house
Up to six participants are selected into the program each year. People from all life stages and career paths are welcome. The positions for 2023-2024 include:
- 2 editorial assistants (magazine and online) - FILLED
- donor services assistant - FILLED
- circulation/administrative assistant - FILLED
- mobilizing/policy assistant - FILLED
- communication/social media assistant - FILLED
The program is designed to be a holistic experience focused on the following:
- Life and Faith: Fellows live together in Washington, D.C., and experience life together: sharing meals, a common budget, house governance meetings, and worship.
- Prayer and Discipleship: Fellows participate in weekly faith and justice seminars during work hours, organizational chapel services with colleagues, and fellowship retreats.
- Work and Vocation: Fellows work full-time in the ministry of Sojourners. Each participant is placed in an entry-level position in one of our departments and is paired with a mentor. Part of the vocational discernment process involves calling. Fellows will wrestle with God’s calling upon their lives during this year.
Compensation: Fellows receive a monthly stipend of $700/month after taxes, the option to join our company health insurance plan, 20 days of paid vacation, up to 12 days for paid sick/personal leave, and 12 paid holidays.
Sojourners also provides housing, meals, local transportation, cell phone reimbursement up to $90/month, a YMCA gym stipend, and emergency and/or holiday travel support. Upon successful completion of the program, fellows receive an end of year transition award.
Application Qualifications: The program is open to anyone 21 years or older who has work permission in the United States and a Social Security number. Married couples without dependents are welcome, but both individuals must apply and be accepted into the program. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity. Fellows must commit to serve the entire program year: August 21, 2023 – August 2, 2024.
Before applying, please read more about the program and Sojourners’ mission by visiting our FAQ page at sojo.net/fellows/faq. Please understand the commitment needed before applying. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your interest in the Sojourners Fellowship Program!