1. Inside the Faith-Led Counter-Protest to Charlottesville’s White Supremacist Rally
Starting this evening, clergy are gathering in Charlottesville, Va., to pray and protest the “Unite the Right” rally scheduled for this weekend.
2. How Fossil Fuel Money Made Climate Change Denial the Word of God
The story behind evangelicals’ resistance to climate science.
3. Avoiding the Trap of Immigration Porn
“My objection is not to the coverage of deportations and the drama of desert border crossings. Parents are separated from their children, people are tortured by smugglers, and many die. We cannot, should not, look away. But the humiliated and hunted people you see in coverage of the deported are not the whole person.”
4. Christianity and Gentrification: Helmut Gollwitzer’s Response to Donald Trump and Robert Jeffress
The church exists to call the powers that be radically into question. Here’s how to do that now.
5. How to Stop Gentrification
“[Gentrification] is not really a cultural phenomenon, as it is so often depicted, nor one driven by individuals with a little more disposable income than their new neighbors. It is about profit and power, racism and violence on a massive scale.”
6. 5 Mental Health Podcasts by Therapists of Color
For your library-building consideration.
7. Married, Queer, and Co-Pastoring a Church
Maria Swearingen and Sally Sarratt are the new co-pastors at the historic Calvary Baptist Church in Washington, D.C. They tell their story in this video.
8. The Email Hillary Clinton’s Pastor Sent Her the Day After the Election
“It is Friday, but Sunday is coming.”
9. Esther’s Story Is a Victim’s Account of Human Trafficking
“We tell our girls to be brave like Esther, to be beautiful like Esther — but we don’t tell them what actually happened to Esther.”
10. How Churches Will Celebrate God During the Solar Eclipse
In case you missed the news, the ‘Great American Eclipse’ is coming on Aug. 21. Deseret News’ Kelsey Dallas reports on how churches are not only helping their small towns brace for crowds, but also hosting special programs tied to the event.