1. The Survival of a Southern Baptist Who Dared to Oppose Trump
CNN profiles Russell Moore, Southern Baptist Convention’s Ethics and Religious Liberty lead, and chronicles his past couple of years from staunch opposition to Trump, to nearly losing his job amid evangelical backlash, to ensuring denominational condemnation of the alt-right, and finally, to finding himself back in the good graces of denominational leadership.
2. Clergy Arrested Outside McConnell’s Office While Protesting Health Care Bill
Rev. William Barber II was among those arrested.
3. What Keeps Bike Share So White?
It’s not a lack of interest.
4. Paul Ryan Promises Changes to the House’s Dress Code
Last week, female journalists were asked to leave the Speaker’s Lobby because they were wearing sleeveless tops. The dress code requires women to cover their shoulders and wear close-toed shoes and for men to wear suit jackets and ties.
5. Yes, Climate Change Is Terrifying. Here Are 6 Things to Give You Hope.
It is important to lament the loss we already see around us and to be realistic about the dangers we face. The cross calls us lament in times of death and helplessness. But it also calls us to hope in and imagine a future that is full of life.
6. The Scientist Who Escaped Aleppo
“We were physically alive in the camp, but psychologically we were dead.”
7. Long After Protests, Students Shun the University of Missouri
“Being ‘the other’ in every classroom and every situation is exhausting.”
9. Rising Temperature Could Make Air Travel Even Worse
A plane filled with passengers and their luggage will be unable to take off safely in very high temperatures.
10. Why ‘The Big Sick’ Is the Romantic Comedy You Need Right Now
For your weekend planning.