1. Trump Cannot Define Away my Existence
The administration seems to think transgender people like me are as imaginary as hippogriffs.
2. The Secret Anxiety of the Upwardly Mobile
Children who do better than their parents often must choose between blending in and standing out.
3. My American Pilgrimage: I Write of What I Cannot Speak
“More than 800 distinct metal monuments memorializing children, women and men. Hanging.”
4. The Migrant Caravan Through the Eyes of Catholic Social Teaching
“With at least 1,000 miles left in their journey, their fate remains unclear.”
5. A Prayer as We Go to the Polls
“And as we go to vote, we ask for your Spirit to draw us together en masse.”
6. What Happens When Facebook Goes Down? People Read the News
Without a News Feed to scroll through, more people head directly to news sites for their information fix.
7. #EleNão Movement Counters Brazilian Trump’ Ahead of Presedential Election
“Country-wide protests against frontrunner Bolsonaro — which culminated in a march held in multiple Brazilian cities on Sept. 29 — have played a role in bringing down the candidate’s popularity.”
8. New Mural Celebrates Bangladeshi Community of Detroit, Hamtramck
"It brings an identity, a reflection of the community in a big way, because a lot of people don't know about the community."
9. My Students Show Me How Climate Action Is Better Than Despair
“I’m learning from my students,” I finally said, “that despair is not a long-term strategy.”
10. Women Are Running for Office Like Never Before
A wave of women is grabbing 2018 by the ballots.