Sojourners, in partnership with Howard University School of Divinity, is pleased to announce Theology and Racialized Policing, a non-degree certificate program beginning in July 2021. This virtual cohort builds upon Sojourners' previous Thriving In Ministry initiatives in Washington, D.C., and North Carolina and explores the intersections of issues at the heart of Sojourners' mission: racial justice, racialized policing, and justice reform. Deadine to apply is June 25.
We are pleased to partner with Howard University School of Divinity to equip Black pastors and leaders with theological and practical resources that will better enable them to thrive in their local ministry contexts and to respond effectively on multiple levels to the pastoral crises happening in their communities.
Beginning in July and taking place over seven weeks in summer 2021, the cohort will launch with a virtual retreat to encourage relationship building among participants. That will be followed in subsequent weeks by 90-minute virtual instructional sessions that are rooted in theology and praxis. All classes will take place Thursday evenings beginning at 6:30 p.m. EST.
Program Dates: July 8, 2021- Aug. 19, 2021
- July 8: Overview of Program; A New Biblical Anthropology; Storytelling
- July 15: Biblical and Theological Foundations; Preaching, Teaching, and Worship Resources
- July 22: Historical Foundations; the Current State of Play
- July 29: Advocacy; Media Skills; Faith Leaders as First Responders
- August 5: Multiple Marginalizations; Say Her Name; Youth and the Movement for Black Lives
- August 12: Psychological and Spiritual Impact; Trauma and Resilience
- August 19: Closing Event
Program Cost: $750. Scholarships are available.
We invite pastors, clergy, and next generation faith leaders serving communities of color most impacted by racialized policing and the biases of the justice system to apply.
These leaders should be serving in the following states: California, DC, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, or Texas.
Deadine to apply is June 25.