Thursday marked the tenth day of the government shutdown and the second of the #FaithfulFilibuster — A Vigil for the Poor. People of faith, both across the street from the Capitol Building and across the world on social media, are reading through the more than 2,000 Bible verses that deal with poverty and justice as a witness for those the shutdown is affecting the most.
The rain didn't deter the prayers, as leaders from Sojourners, Bread for the World, the National Association of Evangelicals, the Salvation Army, and more gathered once again to call on Congress to end the shutdown and stop hurting the poor.
They are asking people of faith to reach out to Congressional leadership. Join along with them to Tweet at those members of Congress with your message to them and hashtag #FaithfulFilibuster.
Congressional Leadership Twitter Handles
- Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid: @SenatorReid
- Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell: @McConnellPress / @Team_Mitch
- Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin: @SenatorDurbin
- Senate Minority Whip John Cornyn: @JohnCornyn
- House Speaker John Boehner: @SpeakerBoehner / @JohnBoehner
- House Majority Leader Eric Cantor: @EricCantor / @GOPLeader
- Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy: @KevinOMcCarthy / @GOPWhip
- Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi: @NancyPelosi
- Minority Whip Steny Hoyer: @WhipHoyer
Sandi Villarreal is Web Editor and Director of Online Media for Sojourners. Follow her on Twitter @Sandi.