[Editors' note: As part of Sojourners' campaign to end the war in Afghanistan, we will run a weekly Afghanistan news digest to educate our readers about the latest news and developments related to the war, the U.S. military's strategy, and the people impacted by our decisions. Read more about our campaign at www.sojo.net/afghanistan.]
- Durbin wants troop drawdown in Afghanistan: "Second-ranking democrat in the Senate supports summer drawdown of troops in Afghanistan."
- What Would You Do With an Extra $70 Billion?: "Defense Secretary Robert Gates has vowed that the days of profligacy are over and that the Pentagon will reform its bloated and often corrupt acquisition process."
- Taliban has strengthened along Pakistan's border with Afghanistan, report finds: "The Taliban insurgency has gained strength in Pakistan's border regions with Afghanistan in recent months despite a sustained government offensive against it, the Obama administration said in a stark new assessment of the war effort."
- Afghans continue to denounce Quran burning: "Hundreds of people have taken to Afghanistan's streets in fresh protests against a Quran burning in the United States, as the UN vowed a deadly attack on its staff would not derail its work."
- Have you done your taxes yet? In honor of the upcoming tax day, check out this war tax calculator. See how much of your taxes this year will go to the war efforts.
Hannah Lythe is policy and outreach associate at Sojourners.