Communications and federal legislative advocacy are at the heart of what Sojourners does and the communications and policy assistant is a critical member of the overall team working to push out the organization’s message in the media and advance progressive social change at the federal level. in Congress. Responsibilities include preparing press briefings for organizational spokespersons, tracking media and coordinating media requests, conducting legislative and policy research, and conducting policy outreach.
- Track media for executive team, campaigns, and Sojourners.
- Assist in the organizing of press conferences, round table media briefings and other events
- Provide daily news round ups for internal and external use
- Compile media reports for grant writing
- With guidance from the Chief Strategy and Impact Officer research and write content for press releases, media advisories, opinion editorials and pitch stories to media outlets
- Conduct legislative and policy research
- Use legislative tracking software to develop policy data visualizations
- Attend partner organization policy coalition meetings, as needed.
The ideal candidate is a news junkie; excellent researcher; a confident oral and written communicator; comfortable with multi-tasking; willing to take the initiative and able to complete tasks with limited supervision; detail-oriented, flexible, patient, a team-player, and willing to learn new software and processes. The nature of communications and policy work can be deadline-driven and stressful at times. Ability to cultivate spiritual and health-positive habits will ensure a work-life-heart balance needed to effect social change.
Professional and Personal Development:
The communications and policy assistant will gain an understanding of the contemporary media landscape, learn how to garner interest in and drive attention to specific stories and events, and develop skills for creating faith-specific messages on key public issues. They will learn in-depth about the federal legislative process and how to conduct faith-based advocacy outreach in Congress.
To Apply: This position is offered as part of our year-long fellowship program which takes place from August 15, 2022 to August 4, 2023. The application deadline is June 15, 2022. To apply, review the fellowship FAQs and follow the application instructions on the fellowship description page. Sojourners is an equal opportunity employer that continually seeks to diversify its staff and create an inclusive and equitable culture. People of color are highly encouraged to apply. Excellent benefits package includes fully paid health insurance, meals, commuting costs, housing, monthly stipend, and a positive, faith-based work environment.