Sojourners has an immediate need for a Racial Justice Coordinator to join our dynamic team providing initiative and support to Sojourners’ work on a range of social justice issues. This is a two-year position with the opportunity for extension pending funding.
Job Function: Activities and responsibilities include planning advocacy campaigns related to racial justice issues, policy research and legislation tracking, writing and communications projects, relationship building and representation at coalitional meetings, and social media efforts.
- Work with relevant staff and partner organizations to develop and implement grassroots/grasstops advocacy strategies to obtain campaign and programmatic goals.
- Equip Christian leaders and activists to act in churches, communities, and nationally to work in solidarity with communities of color.
- Research policy issues, track legislation, and lead internal campaign strategy.
- Provide policy updates to relevant Sojourners staff on a regular basis.
- Attend partner meetings and racial justice-related events as assigned.
- Assist with social media and online platforms for Sojourners’ racial justice campaign.
- Draft content for e-newsletters on racial justice.
- Respond to constituent inquiries via e-mail and phone as needed.
- Oversee Sojourners’ racial justice track and outreach for national Summit.
- Provide administrative, publication, and scheduling support for other national policy events as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum three years’ experience working in racial justice policy/advocacy or with grassroots communities on related issues.
- Strong research and writing skills.
- Experience working with social media and online communications platforms.
- Fluency in intercultural communication.
- Understanding of intersectionality and BlackLivesMatter.
- Understanding of, and appreciation for, Sojourners’ history with faith communities and faith-based advocacy, and ability to articulate the biblical basis of Sojourners’ work.
- Previous advocacy experience preferred.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional reference contacts to email@example.com or Racial Justice Coordinator Search, Sojourners, 408 C St. NE, Washington, DC 20002. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Sojourners is an equal opportunity employer that continually seeks to diversify its staff. People of color are highly encouraged to apply. Excellent benefits package includes paid health insurance, 20 days paid vacation, paid sick/personal leave, 401(k) plan, and a positive, faith-based work environment.