Do you have a heart for social justice? Sojourners has an immediate opening for an experienced Director of Communications to join our Washington, D.C. staff. The Director of Communications is responsible for developing and coordinating an overall communications strategy for the organization, lifting lead voices of Sojourners and its partners by overseeing media requests, pitching, and outreach, and helping to elevate Sojourners’ vision and voice in national, political, and religious media.
Media Relations for Sojourners
- Oversee and support organizational efforts to influence and change the media and public narrative around faith, culture, and politics.
- Leverage the message and public profile of the organization’s spokespersons, advocacy, and campaigns, through pitching and media bookings to national, political, and religious media, with an emphasis on lifting up BIPOC and women’s voices from Sojourners staff and partners.
- Identify and cultivate new opportunities and build new contacts to leverage Sojourners’ message in the media.
- Develop and oversee media strategy working across teams to strengthen organizational messaging efforts.
- Sustain and adapt book communications and publicity for Sojourners’ authors, including President Rev. Adam Russell Taylor
- Lead the monitoring of news coverage and social media around Sojourners’ priority issues and coverage of the organization; identify opportunities to comment on stories of interest.
- Oversee and take responsibility for the tasks to strategize, write, and distribute relevant media advisories, press releases, and press kits.
- Lead narrative and message development around priority campaigns and efforts.
- Responsible for monitoring the overall narrative environment to identify and take advantage of rapid response opportunities.
- Manage Communications Department staff and fellow.
Press Support to Partners/Coalitions
- Liaise with outside partners in nationwide coalition media efforts such as the Circle of Protection and joint actions generated by the Faith Table, and projects such as Lawyers & Collars.
- Provide pitching, media booking, and writing capacity for coalitions and key Sojourners partners.
- Help to lift up the voices of Sojourners partners and allies, especially new voices and faith leaders of color.
- Lead strategy and execute approval for digital content for Sojourners campaigns (SojoAction) and campaign’s social media channels in conjunction with the digital mobilization manager.
- Lead in the creation of timely digital toolkits and other materials to support campaigns in their digital organizing and mobilizing efforts.
- Collaborate with the internal multi-media team and marketing team to create video and digital collateral that support Sojourners campaigns.
- Develop social media influencer strategy for campaigns and the organization’s President.
- Leverage social media as a media outreach tool and monitor developments in new media to promote the organization, campaigns, and President.
- Minimum 5 years director level experience in either communications/strategic communications/campaign communications/digital communications.
- Proven success in designing and implementing multi-pronged media outreach strategies. Seeking someone with proven year over year media growth and experience in diversifying media outlets and audiences.
- Expert knowledge of the media and political world, as well as the church and religious world; knowledge and experience working with local and regional media, and Black and Latino news outlets, a plus.
- Experience with strategic planning, coalition work, budgeting, program evaluation, and supervision.
- Experience messaging and framing of social justice issues for narrative and culture change.
- Experience building social media engagement channels and digital community building.
- Understanding and experience with the message of Sojourners.
- Knowledge of social, racial, gender, economic justice, war and peace, environmental justice, life, and dignity issues and the biblical and theological foundations and frameworks for addressing them.
- Excellent message framing and communication skills, including writing and editing, and speaking comfort and experience.
- Exceptional organizational skills to handle several assignments simultaneously, attention to detail, ability to multitask and prioritize; excellent interpersonal skills essential.
- Ideal candidate will show great discretion and selection on appropriate use of Sojourners voices and contribution to press and social media ecosystem.
- Previous experience with media tracking software; exposure to Meltwater software a plus.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional reference contacts to email@example.com or Director of Communications Search, Sojourners, 408 C St. NE, Washington, DC 20002. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Sojourners is an equal opportunity employer that continually seeks to diversify its staff and create an inclusive and equitable culture. People of color are highly encouraged to apply. Excellent benefits package includes fully paid health insurance, 20 days paid vacation, 401(k) Plan, and a positive, faith-based work environment.