Do you have a passion for social justice? Sojourners has an immediate opening for a full-time Chief Advancement Officer to lead the growth and implementation of all its fundraising efforts and manage a major gifts portfolio. Working closely with the President, the successful candidate will work to mobilize the department with creative strategies intended to excite existing donors and inspire new ones. This role will secure funds for the organization by managing a group of assigned and qualified major donors, ensuring that as many as possible are retained as continuing donors to the organization and are upgraded in their giving and involvement, and identifying and cultivating new donors.
For 50 years, Sojourners (sojo.net) has resourced, equipped, and mobilized millions of people from around the world to put their faith into action for social justice. We draw on a long and diverse tradition of Christians following Jesus and seeking justice, across different traditions and cultures. We reach more than six million readers annually through our award-winning monthly magazine, our online publication, and social media. The organization has embraced a commitment to applying a racial equity and inclusion lens to all its work, and strives to embody this commitment in its advocacy, publications, communications, organizing, and operations. We invite you to join us as we grow a movement focused on justice and peace.
- Develop and manage a comprehensive revenue generation strategy for Sojourners, including major donors, foundation relations, and individual giving, working in collaboration with staff and the Board development committee.
- Direct and oversee Sojourners’ advancement department, including individual giving, mid-level donors, planned giving, grants, and frontline donor services and data management.
- Serve on the Executive Team and other internal teams to represent development concerns as well as to provide general organizational oversight.
- Supervise and provide leadership and coaching to the advancement team.
- Plan and lead regular advancement team staff meetings.
- Develop and oversee the advancement budget and cost center.
MAJOR DONOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage a portfolio of qualified donors and identify, prioritize, cultivate, and solicit gifts of $20,000 and above, with priority for identifying individuals capable of making transformational gifts.
- Work with other advancement staff to cultivate, solicit, and steward a portfolio of prospective major donors and work with the Senior Director of Foundation Relations to pursue grant opportunities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum 10 years’ experience in managing successful fundraising programs and staff, ideally in a faith-based and/or progressive nonprofit organization or higher education.
- Demonstrated achievement in cultivating and soliciting strategic gifts and foundation grants.
- Experience building relationships with high-net-worth individuals and their representatives that benefit the organization, the philanthropic partner, and ultimately lead to increased support in the future.
- Strong interpersonal skills, high emotional intelligence, and excellent management and coaching skills.
- Persuasive public speaking ability; superior writing and editing skills.
- Ability to engage the President and Board of Directors in fundraising efforts.
- Knowledge of social and economic justice issues and understanding of and commitment to Sojourners’ faith-based mission.
- Interest in and experience in developing and implementing fundraising strategies for people of all ethnic and racial backgrounds.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills.
- Ability to prioritize, multitask, meet deadlines, and work collaboratively in a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to travel regularly, as dictated by individual donor strategies.
- Familiarity with fundraising best practices, standards, and ethics.
- Proficiency in Raiser’s Edge is a plus.
This position will be based in the Washington, D.C. office once it is safe to return; remote work, from anywhere, is possible until then, though EST hours may be required.
This position involves occasional weekend and evening work and requires regular travel when safe to return to travel.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional reference contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org with Chief Advancement Officer in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Sojourners is an equal opportunity employer that continually seeks to diversify its staff and create an inclusive and equitable culture. People of color are highly encouraged to apply.
Annual salary for a fully qualified applicant is $100,000 or more based on experience. Excellent benefits package includes fully paid health insurance, 20 days’ paid vacation, 401(k) plan, and a positive, faith-based work environment.