Do you have a passion for social justice? Sojourners has an immediate opening for a dynamic Chief Advancement Officer to lead the growth and implementation of all its fundraising efforts, including the public phase of its first-ever capital campaign, coinciding with its 50th anniversary. Working closely with the President and CEO, the successful candidate will examine existing development programs and work to mobilize the department with creative strategies intended to excite existing donors and inspire new ones.
- Develop and manage a comprehensive revenue generation strategy for Sojourners, including major donors, foundation relations, and individual giving, working in collaboration with staff and the Board development committee.
- Work with other advancement staff to cultivate, solicit, and steward a portfolio of prospective major donors and work with the Senior Director of Foundation Relations to pursue grant opportunities.
- Lead high-level coordination of the organization’s donor pipeline, including the development and implementation of systems and strategies to meet the needs and goals of the capital campaign as well as the annual individual and institutional giving programs.
- Oversee the Director of Advancement in analyzing and forecasting Sojourners fundraising potential for use in expanding the donor base and for organizational financial planning.
- Work with the Associate Director of Donor Relations to develop and support midlevel and planned giving initiatives, including donor solicitation materials and an annual report.
Management and Supervision
- Direct and oversee the overall Sojourners advancement department, a group of staff that includes the individual giving, mid- and major-donor team, planned giving, and frontline donor services and data management.
- Serve on the Executive Team and other internal teams to represent development concerns as well as to provide general organizational oversight.
- Supervise and provide mentorship and leadership to the Director of Advancement, Director of Donor Relations, and Senior Director of Foundation Relations (who also serves as a performance adviser to the CEO).
- Plan and lead regular advancement team staff meetings.
- Coach and train advancement staff.
- Develop and oversee the advancement budget and cost center.
- At least 10 years’ experience and demonstrated achievement in cultivating and soliciting major gifts and foundation grants.
- Experience in managing fundraising programs and staff, with a record of successfully designing and implementing new fundraising programs, including experience with planned giving programs.
- Strong interpersonal skills, high emotional intelligence, and excellent management and coaching skills.
- Persuasive public speaking ability; superior writing and editing skills.
- Significant experience in cultivating gifts from high net-worth individuals.
- Ability to engage the President, CEO, and Board of Directors in fundraising efforts.
- Interest in and experience in developing and implementing fundraising strategies for people of all ethnic and racial backgrounds.
- Ability and interest in regular travel.
- Demonstrated skills in budgeting, financial analysis, and revenue forecasting.
- Proven experience in project management and strategic planning.
- Understanding of progressive faith-based perspectives and networks.
- Experience in leading a capital campaign, creating an endowment, and developing a planned giving program.
- Track record of making strategic decisions that have a positive impact on organization-wide priorities while soliciting six-figure gifts.
- Success in building strategic relationships that benefit the organization, the philanthropic partner, and ultimately lead to increased support in the future.
- Extremely organized and supportive of staff in setting priorities.
- Master’s degree in relevant field preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and experience with Raiser’s Edge a plus.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional reference contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org or Chief Advancement Officer search, Sojourners, 408 C St. NE, Washington, DC 20002. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. This position will be based in the Washington, D.C. office once it is safe to return; remote work, from anywhere, is possible until then, though EST hours may be required.
Sojourners is an equal opportunity employer that continually seeks to diversify its staff and create an inclusive and equitable culture. People of color are highly encouraged to apply. Excellent benefits package includes paid health insurance, 20 days paid vacation, 401(k) Plan, and a positive, faith-based work environment.