Sojourners seeks a new staff person with a heart for social justice to join us in Washington, D.C., as our Immigration & Women and Girls Campaign Coordinator.
The Immigration and Women and Girls Coordinator will assist with mobilizing churches and individuals around campaign specific goals by:
(a) implementing campaign strategy, researching policy, and tracking legislation
(b) building and managing relationships with key coalitions, partner organizations, and individuals and
(c) providing support on church mobilization and key communications components of the campaign, including press events, social media, and writing projects as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Equip and mobilize church and lay leaders around immigration and women and girls related issues, including:
- Addressing domestic and sexual violence in the church and society
- Increasing and supporting women’s leadership in the church
- Advocating for immigration policies that honor the God-given dignity of every person, protect family unity, and promote thriving communities.
- Increasing and supporting immigrant people’s leadership in the church
- Research policy issues, track media and legislation, and lead internal campaign strategy in collaboration with the Campaigns and Mobilizing Team.
- Identify strategic opportunities for Sojourners to engage constituents, partners, and influencers on priority issues.
- Facilitate work with existing partners and coalitions (conference calls, meetings, event planning, and projects), while building relationships with new allies.
- Assist with creating social media content related to campaign specific issues.
- Draft content for campaign specific highlights in SojoAction newsletter and action alerts.
- Provide policy and program updates to relevant Sojourners staff on a regular basis.
- Lead rapid response efforts with media, mobilization, and communications staff.
- Organize logistics for campaign issue related forums, strategy sessions, and speaking engagements.
- Respond to constituent inquiries via email and phone as needed.
- Support the planning and execution of mobilizing actions and/or events, including rallies, marches, and/or conferences.
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least two years’ experience in a public policy, communications, outreach, organizing, or project management role.
- At least one year experience working on women and girls and/or immigration issues or a directly related field. Previous advocacy experience preferred. Educational background in political science, human rights, migration studies, gender studies, theology, or a related degree considered advantageous.
- Excellent research and written communication skills (writing sample may be requested); public speaking experience a plus.
- Experience working with social media and online communications platforms.
- Demonstrated experience in event planning, exceptional organizational skills, and commitment to working in a collaborative environment.
- Ability to think creatively and willingness to take on new challenges.
- Demonstrable understanding of social change, especially in relationship to the intersection of faith, social justice, and public policy.
- Understanding of, and appreciation for, faith communities and faith-based advocacy.
- Understanding of Sojourners’ mission, vision, and values; familiarity with the issues for which Sojourners is known; and ability to articulate the biblical basis for Sojourners’ work.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional reference contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org or Immigration & Women and Girls Campaign Coordinator Search, Sojourners, 408 C St. NE, Washington, DC 20002. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Sojourners is an equal opportunity employer that continually seeks to diversify its staff. People of color are highly encouraged to apply. Excellent benefits package includes paid health insurance, 20 days paid vacation, paid sick/personal leave, 401(k) Plan, and a positive, faith-based work environment.