Sojourners has an immediate opening for an assistant news editor who will edit and report breaking news stories for sojo.net. The right candidate will thrive in a fast-paced news environment and feel a tiny thrill when she sees a breaking news alert. We are looking for someone with excellent editing skills who will join our online team to ensure Sojourners continues to articulate the biblical call to social justice.
This is a full-time position, preferably based in Sojourners’ Washington, D.C., office.*
- Sharpen, fact-check, and copyedit original news stories for sojo.net
- Be among the first to recognize news in religion, social justice, politics, and culture that is relevant to Sojourners’ editorial mission
- Report a mix of news stories as pitched or assigned for sojo.net and Sojourners magazine
- Build contacts within faith and justice sectors to maintain a deep list of sources, authors, and story ideas
- Recruit and manage quality freelance reporters
- Assist with editing other online content as needed
- Uphold Sojourners editorial standards
- Collaborate with other Sojourners editors to brainstorm new story ideas and develop editorial goals
- Other responsibilities and duties as assigned
- Ability to exercise sound editorial judgement and write accurately in a fast-paced news environment
- Fluency in Christian theologies, the U.S. religious landscape, and contemporary media—and Sojourners’ place within them
- Excellent writing and editing skills; proficiency with AP style; editorial experience, preferably in online media and/or nonprofit journalism
- Strong organization skills and thrives at managing multiple tasks
- Desire to work in a Christian workplace that strives to continually deepen its commitments to social justice
- Enthusiasm for both independent and collaborative projects
- At least two years of experience writing/editing for an online publication
*We prefer this position to be based in the Washington, D.C., office once it is safe to return; remote work, from anywhere, is the default until then, though EST hours may be required.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional reference contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org or Assistant News Editor Search, Sojourners, 408 C St. NE, Washington, DC 20002. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Sojourners is an equal opportunity employer that continually seeks to diversify its staff and create an inclusive and equitable culture. People of color are highly encouraged to apply. Excellent benefits package includes paid health insurance, 20 days paid vacation, 401(k) Plan, and a positive, faith-based work environment.