Sojourners is an ecumenical Christian media and advocacy organization that works toward social and racial justice. We are looking for someone who can combine their interests in social justice, sales or marketing, and faith to contribute to underwriting the mission of the organization through advertising sales.
The Advertising Sales Manager generates non-restricted, earned revenue for Sojourners through sales of advertising that appears in Sojourners magazine, email publications, and website. The ideal candidate is a self-starter who is highly motivated, able to work independently, and adept at juggling multiple priorities. This position includes an existing book of business, but prospecting for new customers is also required. Sojourners’ best advertisers include universities, seminaries, book publishers, financial institutions with a socially responsible investing focus, and nonprofits. This is an exceptional opportunity for a mission-minded and innovative media sales or marketing professional.
- Develop relationships built on trust and credibility with prospective and existing clients.
- Source and generate qualified new prospects through competitive research and cold calling.
- Meet with advertisers in person, on the phone, or by video conference to conduct needs assessments.
- Create compelling proposals, deliver them in a timely manner, and follow up as needed.
- Close sales in order to meet monthly and yearly revenue targets.
- Demonstrate a sense of urgency to reach out to last-minute advertisers when deadlines are approaching or when sales are needed past the posted deadline.
- Provide weekly updates to supervisor on account activity, pipeline, and forecasting.
- Provide back up for ad coordination, production, and trafficking.
- Represent Sojourners at conference exhibitions.
Required and Preferred Skills:
The ideal candidate is goal-oriented, a self-starter, has a sharp attention to detail, and is a problem solver.
- Previous sales experience, preferably media sales.
- Persistence and dedication to reaching goals.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, prioritize, and adhere to deadlines.
- Passion for nonprofit journalism and the intersection of faith and social justice.
- Four-year college degree required.
- Thoughtful and persuasive verbal and written communication skills.
- MS Office proficiency in Word and Excel.
- Previous database experience a plus.
- Previous web editing experience, Photoshop, and basic HTML a plus.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional reference contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org or Advertising Sales Manager search, Sojourners, 408 C St. NE, Washington, DC 20002. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. This position will be based in the Washington, D.C., office with minimum in-office days required and remote work flexibility.
Sojourners is an equal opportunity employer that continually seeks to diversify its staff and create an inclusive and equitable culture. People of color are highly encouraged to apply.
Starting annual salary level for this position is $50,000 or more. Excellent benefits package includes fully paid health insurance, 20 days’ paid vacation, 401(k) plan with employer match, and a positive, faith-based work environment.