In accordance with Sojourners’ mission to articulate the biblical call to social justice:
- We affirm the biblical truth of every human being's inherent dignity and worth, as all people are created in the image of God. (Genesis 1:27)
- We affirm that in the Body of Christ there is no distinction or hierarchy according to racial, ethnic, gender, sexual orientation, or social identity and economic status. (Galatians 3:28)
- We seek not to deny or erase the uniqueness manifest in God's creation, but celebrate this diversity as essential to the unity and strength of Christ's Body. (1 Corinthians 12:12-31)
- We believe that unity in diversity is not only desirable, but essential to fulfilling God's ultimate desire for God's people, as expressed in scripture (Acts 2, Revelation 7:9), and thus an essential element of seeking God's will on earth as it is in heaven.
- We confess that both personal prejudice and systemic oppression are sin. We lament that we all have been both individually and corporately damaged by these sinful patterns, whether as perpetrators, victims, or both. (James 2:1-9; Isaiah 10:1-2)
- We humbly seek forgiveness, restoration, accountability, and healing through Christ, as we seek to be peacemakers answering God's call to the ministry of reconciliation. (2 Corinthians 5:16-19)
Building upon these biblical foundations, we commit ourselves to:
- Confront and dismantle discriminatory behavior wherever it may be manifest—whether individually or organizationally—by creating and maintaining policies and practices that foster right relationships among our staff.
- Intentionally seek partners, participants, and contributors to our programs, events, and publications that mirror the diversity of our churches and society, with special efforts to welcome those who are underrepresented.
- Employ, retain, and promote a diverse staff, leadership, and board of directors that mirror the diversity of our churches and society. Sojourners is an Equal Opportunity employer, committed to nondiscrimination and affirmation of people of color, women, and LGBTQ staff, and to increasing the ethnic and racial diversity of its staff.
- Educate our staff by providing ongoing training and orientation that teaches the value of diversity and provides practical skills in building intercultural competency, thereby strengthening our ability to relate meaningfully across our many differences.
- Empower a Diversity Task Force made up of a diverse array of Sojourners staff members to hold Sojourners accountable to its values and promote initiatives related to diversity.
- Publicly advocate for civil rights and legal non-discrimination to protect the safety and dignity of all people.
- Continually seek personal, organizational, and social transformation, guided by scripture, humbly listening to those marginalized by society's past and present patterns of discrimination.