Identity Theft: When Politicians Hijack Jesus’ Name
Gotta say I’m a big fan of this church sign at my father-in-law’s church.
It’s time to STOP:
- Using faith, Jesus, and the Bible as a political platform;
- Cherry-picking from the Gospel based on what polls well;
- Claiming Jesus would be so myopic to identify with either of our major political parties;
- Calling yourself a Christian politician while also allowing denigrating, dirty political campaigning to continue unchecked;
- Suggesting either Romney or Obama isn’t Christian. Who are you to decide who’s a Christian?
- Using churches to coerce people into voting one way or another;
- Assuming that all Christians automatically, mindlessly vote for one political party;
- Condescending to other Christians if they don’t vote the same way you do;
- Treating the denial of equal human rights as a secondary moral issue;
- Claiming that America is a Christian nation or that we’re somehow favored by God over others. Claims like that are why we’re mocked and reviled around the world.
Christian Piatt is an author, editor, speaker, musician and spoken word artist. He co-founded Milagro Christian Church in Pueblo, Colorado with his wife, Rev. Amy Piatt, in 2004. Christian is the creator and editor of "Banned Questions About The Bible" and "Banned Questions About Jesus." His new memoir on faith, family and parenting is called "PREGMANCY: A Dad, a Little Dude and a Due Date."