The Stewardship Manager will support Sojourners’ stewardship of strategic gifts from individual donors. Duties for the Stewardship Manager will include establishing and maintaining a midlevel donor program and stewarding a portfolio of planned giving prospects and donors; and other duties as assigned. Reports to the Director of Strategic Gifts.
This position is fast-paced, dynamic, and integral to the smooth operation of our organization. The ideal candidate for this role should possess strong communication skills, excellent networking abilities, and time management skills. He or she should be detail-oriented, able to juggle multiple priorities and projects, and work to ensure delivery of high-quality donor services.
- Cultivate, solicit, and steward a portfolio of midlevel donors (donors giving $500-$5,000), and maintaining up-to-date records in database.
- Developing personalized digital engagement and direct marketing strategies, tailored to the midlevel donor audience, including thank you calls and emails, letters, special invitations, follow up to survey responses, lift notes, progress reports, and other activities.
- Initiate prospect research and develop a segment/pipeline of high-value midlevel donors with the capacity to increase their giving to higher, using donor profiles and behavioral metrics; collaborate with Director of Strategic Gifts on engagement.
- Work with Chief Advancement Officer, Director of Strategic Gifts, and other staff on engaging midlevel donors in the roll-out of the public phase of Capital Campaign.
- Contribute ideas and experience to support messaging development, design, and processes for midlevel donor communications and engagement across the Advancement team; collaborate closely with Individual Giving, Major Gifts, Foundation Relations, and Advancement Operations teams.
- Serve as relationship lead for a Planned Giving donor portfolio of current donors and prospects; develop relationships through various cultivation calls, letters, and handwritten notes.
- Create and implement a stewardship plan to recognize and engage planned gift donors who are not actively being cultivated and solicited by other assigned staff; work with the Director of Strategic Gifts and other staff in developing and coordinating strategies for major donors who are top planned-giving prospects.
- Develop and manage a multi-year outreach/marketing plan for Planned Giving that incorporates the use of direct mail, email, website, advertising, and printed materials as deemed appropriate to solicit planned gifts.
- Serve as a resource regarding charitable tax laws and their implications for charitable gifts.
- Monitor the administration of all estates in which Sojourners is named as beneficiary, acknowledging all gifts that come through Planned Giving; communicate with Trustees, management, consultants, outside legal counsel, and committees to ensure that assets are properly distributed and used in line with the testator’s wishes, federal and state law, and Sojourners’ gift acceptance policies.
Other duties as assigned, including opportunities to proofread and edit funder communications, including grant letters of intent, proposals, and budgets.
- Three to five years’ experience in donor relations/donor services, midlevel giving, planned giving, or major donor experience in either a marketing or fundraising environment.
- Proven track record of working in a forward-facing role and knowledge of customer service practices.
- Proven ability to effectively build interpersonal relationships with a range of donors/prospects.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, and persuasive skills both written and oral.
- Experience working with donor database or CRM systems; knowledge of Raiser’s Edge a plus.
- Self-starter that enjoys calling donors and soliciting donations; comfort in “cold calling.”
- Strong organizational and time management skills, attention to detail and process, and ability to record and track progress through CRM systems.
- Enthusiastic team player, comfortable in an “all hands on deck” environment; able to operate and collaborate across multiple teams and thrive in a fast-paced culture.
- Commitment to principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional reference contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org or Stewardship Manager Search, Sojourners, 408 C St. NE, Washington, DC 20002. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Sojourners is an equal opportunity employer that continually seeks to diversify its staff and create an inclusive and equitable culture. People of color are highly encouraged to apply. Excellent benefits package includes fully paid health insurance, 20 days paid vacation, 401(k) Plan, and a positive, faith-based work environment.