Sojourners seeks an energetic contract reporter to break and cover news related to faith, justice, and early childhood development that is relevant to Sojourners’ editorial mission, including topics like reproductive rights; progressive Christian parenting; evidence-based approaches to what infants and toddlers need from churches; and how faith communities are engaging with policies that impact a child’s wellbeing, such as health care coverage, paid family leave, immigration policies, SNAP benefits, or the child tax credit. The ideal candidate will have experience in news reporting; an inclusive understanding of different Christian traditions in the United States; and experience covering education, health care, community, or similar beats. While the Sojourners audience is primarily Christian, we also value deep understanding of other faith traditions and interfaith work.
We are seeking someone to work 20 hours a week, with some flexibility, at $30/hour plus a regular health care stipend. This contract is for one year, with the possibility of renewal for up to three years. It is a fully remote position with flexible hours, though the reporter will have the option to work in our Washington, D.C., office if desired. This position will report to the associate news editor of sojo.net and work in close collaboration with the online editor and editorial team.
- Report at least one news story per week as pitched or assigned for sojo.net, plus two features per year for Sojourners magazine
- Balance writing quick-turnaround stories on breaking news related to faith and social justice with long-term, researched news pieces
- Monitor developments in religion, social justice, politics, culture, and areas that intersect with key issues in early childhood development to supply a steady stream of relevant story ideas for both the online publication and print magazine
- Pitch approximately two stories per week in regular virtual 1:1 with associate news editor
- Experience writing accurately on deadline
- Quality writing and reporting clips, preference for stories focused on religion, education/community, and justice
- Ability to move quickly and juggle multiple assignments at once
- Knowledge of AP style
- Ability to practice appropriate self-care when dealing with trauma in the news
To apply: Please send a brief summary of your experience, resume, and clips to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “[Your Name] / Hilton Reporter Application”