Do you have a heart for social and racial justice? Sojourners has an immediate opening for an experienced Director of Racial Justice to join our Washington, D.C. staff. The Racial Justice Director provides oversight and leadership over the organization’s racial justice and voter engagement efforts. The director also plays an integral role in building and strengthening relationships across the church and will provide other external and representational engagement on behalf of the organization.
- Leads implementation of Sojourners voter engagement work through the Lawyers and Collars and Faiths United to Save Democracy programs.
- Working in partnership with the Howard University School of Divinity, co-lead implementation of the Theology, Racialized Policing, and Justice Program.
- Cultivates relationships and engagement with key clergy and church leaders, particularly from within communities of color.
- Coordinates efforts with Church Network Coordinator and the Director of Mobilizing.
- Develops and implements an integrated strategic plan for Sojourners’ racial justice portfolio including various topical issues: democracy, racialized policing, gun reform, reparations, and Truth, Racial Healing, and Transformation. Tracks relevant policy issues and collaborates with Sojourners Political Director to advocate/mobilize for racial justice policies.
- Works in coordination with other mobilizing colleagues to develop and implement grassroots/grasstops advocacy and mobilizing strategies to achieve programmatic goals and grow our Faith-Rooted Advocate Network base.
- Attends partner meetings and racial justice-related events as needed.
- Contributes news and commentary to statements and Sojourners online and print publications.
- Collaborates with our Advancement Team to solicit new funding for racial justice, voting, and mobilizing work. Manages grant process and reporting requirements for grant-related initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Five to seven years of experience in racial justice, racial reconciliation, and/or church ministry.
- Proven success in designing and implementing multipronged racial justice strategies.
- Expert knowledge of the church, racial justice and reconciliation, and advocacy.
- Experience with strategic planning, coalition work, budgeting, program evaluation, and supervision.
- Excellent message framing and communication skills, including writing and editing, and public speaking comfort and experience.
- Exceptional organizational skills to handle several assignments simultaneously, attention to detail, ability to multitask and prioritize; excellent interpersonal skills essential.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional reference contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org or Director of Racial Justice Search, Sojourners, 408 C St. NE, Washington, DC 20002. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. This position will be based in the Washington, D.C. office with minimum in-office days required.
Sojourners is an equal opportunity employer that continually seeks to diversify its staff and create an inclusive and equitable culture. People of color are highly encouraged to apply.
Starting annual salary for this position is $70,000 to $85,000, based on experience. Excellent benefits package includes fully paid health insurance, 20 days paid vacation, 12 days paid sick leave, 12 paid holidays, 401(k) plan with employer match, and a positive, faith-based work environment. 2023