Do you have a heart for social justice and a strong media portfolio? Sojourners has an immediate opening for an experienced Press Secretary to the President to join our Washington, D.C., staff. The Press Secretary to the President works with the President/Founder Jim Wallis and the Director of Communications to handle media requests and pitches, helping to elevate Jim’s public profile, vision, and voice in national, political, and religious media to increase the impact of Sojourners and the wider movement for faith doing justice that Sojourners helps to lead.
- Leverage the lead message and voice of Jim Wallis and other voices we want to lift up, including Executive Director Adam Taylor, through pitching and media bookings to national, political, and religious media.
- Identify and cultivate new opportunities and build new contacts to leverage and amplify Jim Wallis’ media, speaking, podcasts, columns, and new book release and book tour.
- Work with the Director of Communications to develop and oversee executive messaging efforts.
- Handle media inquiries; schedule interviews in consultation with the Director of the President’s office and prepare briefing documents.
- Build relationships with reporters interested in Jim Wallis’ unique perspective, message, and work; provide background interviews for reporters and on-the-record responsibilities as needed.
- Lead the monitoring of news coverage and social media around Jim Wallis’ priority issues; identify opportunities to comment on stories of interest.
- Work with the Director of Communications to strategize, write, and distribute relevant media advisories, press releases, and press kits.
- Oversee the President’s social media.
- Established media contacts and relationships within the political and church world.
- Proven experience with press work, including pitching, media relations and follow-up, media and messaging strategy, and social media.
- Expert knowledge of the media and political world, as well as the church and religious world.
- Ability to understand and express Jim Wallis’ message and apply personal faith to public life as Sojourners does.
- Knowledge of social, racial, gender, economic justice, war and peace, environmental justice, life, and dignity issues and the biblical and theological foundations and frameworks for addressing them.
- Excellent communication skills, including writing and editing, and speaking comfort and experience.
- Exceptional organizational skills to handle several assignments simultaneously, attention to detail, ability to multitask and prioritize; excellent interpersonal skills essential.
- Previous experience with media tracking software; exposure to Meltwater software a plus.
- Ideal candidate will show great discretion and selection on appropriate use of President’s voice and contribution to press stories.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional reference contacts to email@example.com or Press Secretary to the President Search, Sojourners, 408 C St. NE, Washington, DC 20002. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Sojourners is an equal opportunity employer that continually seeks to diversify its staff. People of color are highly encouraged to apply. Excellent benefits package includes fully paid health insurance, 20 days paid vacation, 401(k) Plan, and a positive, faith-based work environment.