Sojourners seeks a part-time, short-term copyeditor to help with increased coverage related to the aftermath of the 2020 election and the incoming administration. In addition to editing news and commentary pieces for sojo.net, this position will also help copyedit materials for non-editorial departments.
The ideal candidate will be a passionate wordsmith who is confident in working on tight deadlines; prior experience with magazines, online publications, and/or nonprofit journalism is preferred. Familiarity with topics related to social justice, politics, and the diverse religious landscape in the U.S. is a plus. Candidates will be required to complete a copyediting test before being interviewed.
Hours are flexible, with a preference for 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. (Eastern) on Mondays and Thursdays, with some flexibility. Payment will be $40/hour, for 16 hours/week until Jan. 29, 2021. This position will report to the managing editor of sojo.net and work closely in collaboration with the editor-in-chief.
- Copyedit sojo.net articles for grammar, formatting, accuracy, and in-house style, while preserving each writer’s unique voice
- Help with occasional fact-checking
- Assist with Sojourners’ in-house copyediting service for non-editorial teams, including promotional emails, donation appeals, and a variety of other print and digital materials
- As needed, copyedit page proofs of Sojourners magazine
- Ensure all content upholds Sojourners editorial standards
- Superb copyediting skills
- Knowledge of AP style and other style guides
- Ability to work accurately under tight deadlines and juggle multiple assignments at once
- Prior experience with magazines, online publications, or nonprofit journalism preferred
- Familiarity with topics related to social justice, politics, and the variety of different U.S. Christian denominations is a plus
- Flexible work schedule possible
- Flat rate stipend to offset health insurance
Sojourners is committed to articulating the biblical call to racial and social justice, life and peace, and environmental stewardship. We strive to achieve the highest quality of journalism, social analysis, and spiritual writing, which involves attracting talented people from diverse traditions, backgrounds, and cultures. This is a remote position.
Please send a brief summary of your experience and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.