Job Function: The Church Engagement Director oversees, develops, implements, and evaluates Sojourners outreach and engagement with churches and clergy through the creation of a Faith and Justice Churches program. The role involves significant writing and marketing of resources, building relationships at the individual, local church, and church leadership level, and a deep love and knowledge of the church and its commitment to biblical justice. Travel several times per year is required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Restart Sojourners’ national Faith and Justice Churches program (FJC), including marketing, budget, database, managing membership, and programmatic offerings.
- Lead efforts to co-develop resources and curriculum for the Faith and Justice Churches program, including curriculum for politically divided congregations, social justice engagement, civic engagement, etc.
- Manage an advisory group of pastors related to FJC.
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with clergy and churches across the country.
- Represent Sojourners at key conferences and church events.
- Support the ED and President and other senior staff in building and strengthening denominational partnerships and engagement.
- Work to solicit important convention speaking and workshop invitations to further church engagement work.
- Collaborate with SojoAction team to connect FJC members and clergy to Sojourners campaigns, media, and mobilizing initiatives.
- Serve on the SojoAction planning team to shape and develop SojoAction implementation plans.
- Work closely with Sojourners’ creative, editorial, and advancement teams to connect Sojourners’ message and mission to the clergy community, including increasing readership and raising revenue from church partners.
- Provide periodic updates on theological shifts and changes in the American church to organization leadership.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Three years working with a membership program or similar experience.
- Three years writing or editing experience, preferably in a journalism or curriculum position.
- Seminary degree or ministry experience preferred.
- Ability to represent the organization in public settings and experience and comfort working with church leaders across theological, cultural, and denominational backgrounds.
- Knowledge of social, racial, and economic justice issues, and Sojourners’ history of involvement with these issues.
- Ability or willingness to learn how to present curriculum in a workshop or training setting.
- Strong communications skills, both written and verbal; strong relational skills and experience.
- Exceptional organizational skills to handle several assignments across teams simultaneously; project management and/or organizing experience.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional reference contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org or Church Engagement Director search, Sojourners, 408 C St. NE, Washington, DC 20002. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Sojourners is an equal opportunity employer that continually seeks to diversify its staff. People of color are highly encouraged to apply. Excellent benefits package includes fully paid health insurance, 20 days paid vacation, 401(k) plan, and a positive, faith-based work environment.
Read HTML code related articles on our blog to get the best tips on web content composing.