Sojourners has an opening for an experienced Chief Mobilizing and Communications Officer with an understanding of our work and mission, issue areas, and effective media engagement to join our Washington, D.C., staff. This position works closely with Sojourners’ President and CEO and will serve on the Executive Leadership Team. The position will also supervise and support the Director of Campaigns and Mobilizing to plan and manage our issue campaigns, mobilizing and advocacy efforts, and media strategy.
- Supervise and support the Director of Campaigns and Mobilizing to design and implement Sojourners’ campaigns, developing online mobilizing strategy (with the Digital Mobilizing Manager) and strengthening department project management skills.
- Supervise and support the Director of Campaigns and Mobilizing as well as other staff to maintain and strengthen relationships with external partners, elected officials, and coalitions related to campaigns work and organizational priorities.
- Oversee the work of the Church Network Coordinator to develop content and implement a distribution plan for Church Network curriculum.
- Ensure and foster coordination with Advancement Team and others on campaign funding development and reporting.
- Ensure development and oversight of Campaigns and Communications staff, fellows, and budget.
- Write and speak on behalf of Sojourners’ campaigns as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Work with the President to develop and oversee executive and organizational messaging efforts; facilitate weekly messaging meetings.
- Leverage the President’s and other Sojourners’ voices in national, regional, political, and religious media.
- Work with the Senior Director of Integrated Marketing to develop and implement new media opportunities and messaging cohesion.
- Supervise and oversee the work of the future Media Manager and/or Press Secretary role as well as the Communications Fellow.
- Identify and cultivate new opportunities and build new contacts to leverage Sojourners’ message in the media.
- Develop and oversee media strategy working across teams to strengthen organizational messaging efforts; develop and oversee a communications plan for program effectiveness, including a crisis communications plan for future use.
- Create and respond to media inquiries, including in preparation for the President’s new book release and book tour; oversee the scheduling of interviews and the preparation of briefing documents in consultation with Executive staff.
- Build relationships with reporters interested in the unique perspective, message, and work of Sojourners; provide background interviews for reporters and on-the-record responsibilities as needed.
- Lead the monitoring of news coverage and social media around Sojourners’ priority issues and coverage of the organization; identify opportunities to comment on stories of interest.
- Oversee the tasks to strategize, write, and distribute relevant media advisories, press releases, and press kits.
- Work with the Editor-in-Chief and Senior Director of Integrated Marketing to coordinate the organization’s social media.
- At least 10 years’ experience in strategic planning, media relations, message development, coalition work, budgeting, program management, and supervision.
- Digital mobilizing experience, including building online audiences and communities.
- Knowledge of social and economic justice issues and scriptural tenets that undergird Sojourners’ involvement in them; understanding of and commitment to Sojourners’ faith-based mission.
- Excellent communication skills, including writing and editing, speaking and briefing.
- Knowledge and experience with multiple media platforms.
- Exceptional project management skills to handle several assignments simultaneously, attention to detail, and ability to multitask and prioritize; excellent interpersonal skills essential.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional reference contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org or Chief Mobilizing and Communications Officer Search, Sojourners, 408 C St. NE, Washington, DC 20002. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Sojourners is an equal opportunity employer that continually seeks to diversify its staff and create an inclusive and equitable culture. People of color are highly encouraged to apply. Excellent benefits package includes fully paid health insurance, 20 days paid vacation, 401(k) plan, and a positive, faith-based work environment.