Sojourners seeks a rising journalist and editor to offer a range of support for Sojourners’ award-winning online publication sojo.net, social media platforms, and email newsletters.
We’re looking for someone who can juggle a variety of editorial and social media responsibilities at once and is eager to jump into new projects. Our ideal candidate will be nimble, details-oriented, and endlessly curious, with an ability to uncover the faith and justice angle of stories that cut across beats and verticals.
- Work directly and collaboratively with the Web Editor/Chief Digital Officer and the web team to create dynamic, timely content for Sojourners’ online publication.
- Copy edit, fact-check, and research stories.
- Produce quick-turnaround stories with a Sojourners take on breaking news.
- Write and report on stories as pitched or assigned.
- Optimize online articles for social sharing.
- Where needed, assist the Audience Engagement Editor on data analysis, strategy, and implementation.
- Manage the Sojourners Twitter handle and coordinate coverage with campaign Twitter handles.
- Curate Verse & Voice, our daily contemplative newsletter.
- Build and proof weekly newsletters.
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least one year of experience editing for an online publication.
- Writing and reporting clips, preference for religion/politics/culture/justice-focused stories.
- Experience using an enterprise content management system (Drupal preferred).
- Proficiency in utilizing Facebook and Twitter for publication and producing platform-appropriate messaging.
- Ability to move quickly and juggle multiple assignments at once.
- Degree in journalism or communications a plus.
- Graphic design or other multimedia skills a plus.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional reference contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org or Assistant Web Editor Search, Sojourners, 408 C St. NE, Washington, DC 20002. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Sojourners is an equal opportunity employer that continually seeks to diversify its staff. People of color are highly encouraged to apply. Excellent benefits package includes fully paid health insurance, 20 days paid vacation, 401(k) Plan, and a positive, faith-based work environment.