Sojourners has an immediate opening for an assistant opinion editor for sojo.net. The right candidate will be endlessly curious, comfortable in a fast-paced news environment, and passionate about amplifying the full range of perspectives that shape the church and ongoing justice movements. We are looking for someone with excellent editing skills who will join our online team to ensure Sojourners continues to articulate the biblical call to social justice.
This is a full-time position, preferably based in Sojourners’ Washington, D.C. office.*
- Edit, fact-check, and proofread 3-5 online opinion articles each week
- Be among the first to spot new ideas, voices, or perspectives relevant to Sojourners' editorial mission
- Continually build new contacts within relevant faith and justice sectors to recruit, develop, and maintain a diverse pool of regular writers and columnists
- Assist with editing other online content as needed
- Uphold Sojourners' editorial standards
- Collaborate with other Sojourners editors to brainstorm new story ideas and develop editorial goals
- Write occasional reviews, opinion articles, or features for Sojourners and sojo.net
- Other responsibilities and duties as assigned
- Excellent writing and editing skills; proficiency with AP style
- Editorial experience, preferably in online media and/or nonprofit journalism
- Fluency in Christian theologies, the U.S. religious landscape, and contemporary media — and Sojourners’ place within them
- Successful record of developing less-experienced writers and those whose ideas or style may differ from one’s own
- Ability to exercise sound editorial judgement in a fast-paced news environment
- Strong organization skills and thrives at managing multiple tasks
- Desire to work in a Christian workplace that strives to continually deepen its commitments to social justice
- Enthusiasm for both independent and collaborative projects
*We prefer this position to be based in the Washington, D.C., office once it is safe to return; remote work, from anywhere, is the default until then, though EST hours may be required.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional reference contacts to email@example.com or Assistant Opinion Editor Search, Sojourners, 408 C St. NE, Washington, DC 20002. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Sojourners is an equal opportunity employer that continually seeks to diversify its staff and create an inclusive and equitable culture. People of color are highly encouraged to apply. Excellent benefits package includes paid health insurance, 20 days paid vacation, 401(k) Plan, and a positive, faith-based work environment.