Sojourners has an immediate opening for an Assistant Editor. The right candidate will have a heart for justice, a desire to help tell important stories, and an understanding of the religious landscape in America. We are looking for someone with excellent editing skills who will work collaboratively and creatively with our editorial staff to produce Sojourners magazine. This is a full-time position based in Sojourners’ Washington, D.C. office.*
- Edit and proofread magazine copy
- Manage the editorial process of some feature articles
- Coordinate and edit various small departments of the magazine
- Assist with online upload proofing and launch of magazine
- Work with the online and engagement editors to expand the magazine’s online presence and coordinate magazine-based online content
- Co-coordinate the @sojogram Instagram handle
- Coordinate volunteers
- Assist with editing and proofing of other departments’ materials as part of the Get Edited process
- Write occasional reviews, commentaries, and features for Sojourners and sojo.net
- Read and comment on articles in circulation
- Participate in planning of magazine by attending weekly staff meetings and semi-annual retreats
- Other responsibilities and duties as assigned.
- Two to four years of editorial experience, preferably in magazine format, including copy writing, editing, and proofreading; proficiency with AP Style
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communications skills; copyediting experience
- Experience in nonprofit journalism preferred
- Awareness of issues affecting underrepresented communities
- Ability to work independently as well as creatively with the editorial staff
- Experience in cross-platform content creation preferred
- Strong organizational skills for managing several projects at once
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite; web content management skills a plus
- Desire to work in a Christian workplace that strives to continually deepen its commitments to social justice
- Understanding of Sojourners' place in the religious media landscape.
*This position will be based in the Washington, D.C. office once it is safe to return; remote work, from anywhere, is possible until then, though EST hours may be required.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional reference contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org or Assistant Editor Search, Sojourners, 408 C St. NE, Washington, DC 20002. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Sojourners is an equal opportunity employer that continually seeks to diversify its staff and create an inclusive and equitable culture. People of color are highly encouraged to apply. Excellent benefits package includes paid health insurance, 20 days paid vacation, 401(k) Plan, and a positive, faith-based work environment.