Sojourners magazine received many honors at the joint annual conventions of the Evangelical Press Association (EPA) and the Associated Church Press (ACP) last week in Indianapolis. In fact, for the first time ever, the EPA honored Sojourners with the "Award of Excellence" (first place) as the best general-interest magazine. The ACP also awarded Sojourners first place in its "Best In Class" competition. Overall, Sojourners magazine received 25 awards, including six first-place awards, five second-place awards, and 11 third-place awards.
At Sojourners, we strive to provide our readers with articles that feature quality writing, thought-provoking topics, and robust theological discussion. While the purpose for publishing Sojourners magazine has nothing to do with winning awards, we hope you will join us in celebrating the editors, writers, and artists who contribute to publishing a top-notch collection of articles each month that articulates the biblical call to social justice, inspiring hope and building a movement to transform individuals, communities, the church, and the world.
If you are not yet a subscriber, but are interested in receiving our award-winning publication, click here for a free trial subscription.
Here are the categories in which Sojourners received awards:
Evangelical Press Association
- Award of Excellence, General Interest Magazine: Sojourners Magazine (first place)
- Biblical Exposition: "Whom Do You Serve?" by Marva J. Dawn (fifth place)
- Editorial: "Healing the Wounds of Race," by Jim Wallis (third place)
- Fiction: "La Anunciacion," by Demetria Martinez (first place)
- General Article (long): "A Call to Repentance," by Jim Wallis (third place)
- Humorous Article: H'rumphs, "The Gospel of GREAT News," by Ed Spivey (third place)
- Interview Article: "A Responsibility to Care," Jim Wallis interview of Mike Huckabee (first place)
- Poetry: "Imperfection," by Rachel Guido de Vries (first place)
- Single Photo Candid (below): "Prisoners celebrate after graduating from entrepreneur program," Allison V. Smith, photographer (fifth place)
Associated Church Press
- Best in Class, General Interest Magazine: Sojourners Magazine (Award of Excellence, first place)
- Editorial Courage: "A Call to Repentance," by Jim Wallis (Honorable Mention, third place)
- News Story: "The Meaning of Life," by Jim Rice and Jeannie Choi (Award of Excellence)
- In-Depth Coverage: "Putting Your Money Where Your Heart Is" (Award of Merit, second place)
- Biographical Profile : "Through the Laughter and the Tears," by Kimberly Burge (Award of Merit)
- Personal Experience, First-Person Account: "A Peculiar Hope," by Rose Marie Berger (Honorable Mention)
- Media Review Section: CultureWatch, Molly Marsh (Honorable Mention)
- Poetry: "Imperfection," by Rachel Guido de Vries (Honorable Mention)
- Humor Written: Hrumphs, "The Gospel of GREAT News," by Ed Spivey (Honorable Mention)
- Theological or Scholarly Article: "Whom Do You Serve?" by Marva J. Dawn (Honorable Mention)
- Biblical Interpretation: "Whom Do You Serve?" by Marva J. Dawn (Award of Merit)
- Theological Reflection (short format): "Untimely Pregnant," by Rose Marie Berger (Honorable Mention)
- Devotional/Inspirational (short format): "A Peculiar Hope," by Rose Marie Berger (Award of Merit)
- Magazine Design, spread or story (below): "Without a Prayer," designed by Ed Spivey (Honorable Mention) and Humor Graphic (below): "Without a Prayer," by Matt Wuerker (Award of Merit)
- Magazine Design, entire issue (see March 2008 below): Ed Spivey, designer (Award of Merit)
Jeannie Choi is an assistant editor at Sojourners.