- Interested in promoting alternatives to violence in your local community? The Families Against Violence Advocacy Network (FAVAN) is organizing local teams in many communities. Call Jim Vogt, (606) 291-6107; e-mail: email@example.com
- An interfaith program consisting of shelters for homeless men and women and an outreach program is in need of couples or individuals to help in this ministry. Room and board are provided. Contact Sister Margaret McCaffrey, Christian Service Program, Box 21, Shreveport, LA 71161-1121; (318) 424-7049.
- During a yearlong internship in our nations capital, help pregnant and parenting women in an urban maternity home setting by providing administrative assistance, program planning, and implementation. Make a difference and support women who choose life. Annual stipend is $1,500, starting September 1. Contact The Northwest Center, 2702 Ontario Road NW, Washington, DC 20009; (202) 483-7008; fax: (202) 332-3459.
- Volunteer positions including mechanic and food service coordinator are available at a retreat center that caters to up to 500 in the Cascade Mountains. Room, board, insurance, and stipend provided. Contact Staff Coordinator, Holden Village, HCOO-Stop2, Chelan, WA 98816-9769.
- The Heartland Alliance for Human Needs and Human Rights provides basic social and legal services, health care, and affordable housing to low-income and homeless individuals and families. Volunteers are needed for their Center for Women and Family Services, work with refugees, tutoring program, English language classes, and street center for homeless youth. Contact Julie Noble, Heartland Alliance, 208 S. LaSalle, Suite 1818, Chicago, IL 60604; (312) 629-4500; fax: (312) 629-4550.
- Group workcamps need adult volunteers willing to donate one week of their time every summer working to help teen-agers repair homes for elderly, disabled, and needy residents across America and Mexico. Travel, training, room, and board are provided. Call Patricia Smith, 1-800-635-0404, ext. 4478.
- A rural homeless shelter in Colorado seeks volunteers to help with the needs of shelter guests, family programming, and assisting in managing community store and cafe. Room, board, stipend, and essentials provided. The one-year terms of service start August and January. Spanish is helpful. Contact Lance Cheslock, La Puente Home, P.O. Box 1235, Alamosa, CO 81101; (719) 589-5909.
- Volunteer in bicultural Southern Colorado with an ecumenical volunteer program focusing on service, simplicity, and justice. Placements are available for RNs, Spanish speakers, and those with experience working with youth ministry, homeless people, domestic violence, and more. Orientations are in January and August yearly. One-year commitment is required. Contact Vida Volunteers, P.O. Box 984 Alamosa, CO 81101; (719) 589-0710; fax: (719) 589-4330; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Experienced financial officer is needed for SOS Health Care Inc., a community non-profit serving the sick, particularly children and HIV-positive clients of our coastal Carolina area. Ambition to serve God is required. Compensation is based upon your needs versus our clients needs. Call Bill Davis at (803) 449-0554.
- Lively liberal church seeks a full-time youth minister. Seminary training is desirable. This is a reconciling congregation, active with its multicultural neighborhood, three blocks from a university. Contact Jan, Wesley United Methodist, 1343 E. Barstow, Fresno, CA 93170; fax: (209) 224-1967.
- First UMC, Schenectady, N.Y., an inner-city, reconciling, and Stephen Ministry congregation, seeks an energetic and outgoing person for associate position in education/community outreach. Ordination is not required, but appropriate training is needed. Salary and benefits to fit training and experience. Inquiries to Pastor, 603 State St., Schenectady, NY 12305.
- Community United Methodist Church of New York City seeks an executive administrator. A B.A. in business is preferred, along with three years experience in church-related work. A second language (Spanish, Chinese, Korean) is helpful. Salary range is $32-40,000. Fax résumé to (718) 458-7983.
- Casa Marianella seeks an executive director at their shelter for immigrants in the mid or late fall. Duties include staff management, administration, direct service, Spanish speaking, and public speaking. Fund-raising and religious service experience are preferred. Room, board, health insurance, and stipend or negotiable salary are provided. Send résumé and letter to Rebecca Smith, 821 Gunter St., Austin, TX 78702.
- An ecumenical program of San Luis Valley Christian Community Services, serving Southern Colorado, seeks a full-time coordinator beginning July 15, 1997. Contact Noel Dunne, Box 984, Alamosa, CO 81101; (719) 589-5192, fax: (719) 589-4330; email@example.com
Community Living Opportunities
- Good Shepherd Sisters, a Catholic religious community, is looking for single Catholic women with a passion for bringing the healing love of Jesus to those who are in danger of being lost in the chaos of our times. We are active and contemplative. Contact Vocation Director, 5100 Hodgson Road, St Paul, MN; (612) 484-0221.
Retreats and Conferences
- A Time for Peace, a retreat on the Christians call to be peace, will be held at the Monastery of St. Clare, August 4-9. Prayer and reflection on Jesus call to peace will be directed by Patricia McCarthy, C.N.D. Contact MSC, 1310 Dellwood Ave., Memphis, TN 38127; (901) 357-6662.
- Now interviewing for a unique four-month seminar on life direction starting September 1997 in the Washington, D.C. area. Identify your gifts, expand your creativity, explore vocational options, and gain support for finding work you love. Contact Working From the Heart, 1309 Merchant Lane, McLean, VA 22101; (703) 827-2742; fax: (703) 827-2289.
- The Eleventh Annual Pilgrimage to the U.S. Peace Places will march from Appomattox to Yorktown, Va., August 5-9. This annual tradition is a celebration of past peacemaking and a call to nonviolence in todays world. Contact Chris Barrett at (804) 846-6475.
The following individuals in prison request correspondence from people outside of prison:
Darrell Shirlls, #633985, A2-121, P.O. Box 500, Teaque, TX 75860-9802; Gloria Aucoin, #84690-B-1, LCIW, P.O. Box 26, St. Gabriel, LA 70776; Santise Robinson, #259185, Unit MSU, Delaware Correctional Center, Smyrna, DE 19977; R.C. Kimpton, #197740, 2500 Avon Beldon Road, Grafton, OH 44044; Christopher Trotter, #862556, Location 42-204, P.O. Box 1111, Carlisle, IN 47838; Paul Folsom, #129002X, Holman 3700 1-70-B, Atmore, AL 36503.