- L'Arche in Clinton, Iowa, seeks an executive director/community leader. L'Arche is a faith-based community where adults with developmental disabilities and those who assist them create home together in the spirit of Christ. Visit users.cis.net/larchia or contact Lindra Bicksler, (563) 243-9035; email@example.com.
- The Friends Committee on National Legislation accepts applications for their Washington, D.C.-based intern program from Jan. 1-March 1. Internships run from early September through the end of July. FCNL seeks to bring the concerns, experiences, and testimonies of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) to bear on policy decisions in the nation's capital. See www.fcnl.org/intern.htm.
Retreats and Conferences
- "From Globalization to Global Community: Making Peace and Doing Justice in a Smaller World" will take place Nov. 6-9 in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. Sponsored by the United Methodist Church, the gathering will feature Tony Campolo and Njoki Njehu. Contact Robert Walden, (610) 861-0653; RwaldenPA@entermail.net; cswt.ppjr.org.
- Journey into Freedom will host a contemplative Advent retreat December 7-9 at the Collins Retreat Center near Portland, Ore. Contact (503) 244-4728; www.journeyintofreedom.org.
- The Covenant Network of Presbyterians sponsors "The Church We Are Called to Be and to Become," Nov. 6-8, in Washington, D.C. Speakers include Barbara Wheeler, president of Auburn Theological Seminary in New York, in dialogue with Richard Mouw, president of Fuller Theological Seminary. Contact Rosemary Bledsoe, (415) 351-2196; firstname.lastname@example.org.
- "Transformation and Renewal III: The Anatomy of Change," a conference seeking to further black congregational development in the Episcopal Church, takes place Nov. 16-21 in Hendersonville, N.C. Music leader is Horace Boyer, editor of Lift Every Voice and Sing II. Contact Kanuga Conferences, (828) 692-9136; www.kanuga.org.
- Join Paula D'Arcy and Richard Rohr, OFM, Dec. 31-Jan. 3, in Albuquerque, N.M., for "A Year Beginning Conference." The conference's focus is on how religious mystics can provide guidance for the tasks of the second half of life. Contact the Center for Action and Contemplation, (505) 242-9588.
- A small Christian community (with nonprofit status) is looking for rural land to love and care for in California. Family ranch? Church land? If you have leads, please contact Ched Myers, (626) 791-3459; email@example.com.
- The National Coalition for the Homeless sponsors National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week Nov. 16-22, during which schools, communities, and cities take part in a nationwide effort to bring greater awareness to the problems of hunger and homelessness. Contact Michael Stoops, (202) 737-6444, ext. 19; www. nationalhomeless.org/awareness. html.
- In November, congregations will celebrate Bread for the World Sunday, a time to reflect on how God's love is a harvest of hope for all people, to pray for hungry people, and to take steps that will make a difference in their lives. Visit www. bread.org.
- Join thousands for a vigil and nonviolent civil resistance action Nov. 21-23 at the gates of Fort Benning in Georgiahome of the notorious School of the Americas. Many who have been implicated in torture and civilian massacres were trained at the SOA. Speak out against terror and violence, to close the SOA, and to change oppressive U.S. foreign policy. Visit www.soaw.org.
- Buy Nothing Day, Nov. 28, is a time for people of faith and others to put in perspective our society's overemphasis on consumerism. Visit adbusters.org/campaigns/bnd or www.buynothingchristmas.org.
The following individuals in prison request correspondence from people outside of prison:
Douglas Chism #623508, PO Box 16-Eastham Unit, Lovelady, TX 75851; Mark Badgley 13570778, SRCI, 777 Stanton Blvd., Ontario, OR 97914-8335; Peter Dove P32294, CA State Prison, Corcoran, 3C04-147 Lower, Corcoran, CA 93212-3471; Daniel Rodriguez 840A-3039, Sullivan Corr. Fac., PO Box 116, Fallsburg, NY 127-0116; Charles E. Lee T-03556, B-4-CE11-133 Low, Ironwood SP, PO Box 2199, Blythe, CA 92226; Larry Darden 31266, 014-E-Dorm, PO Box 250, Draper, UT 84020; Carol Pollard 914390, MCIW, PO Box 535, Jessup, MD 20794; Pete Arroyo 85A4802, Elmira Correctional Facility, Elmira, NY 14902-0500; Daniel L. F"shée 560462, Eastham, PO Box 16, Lovelady, TX 75851; Dennis Wayne Shaw 459624, 8602 Peach St., Lubbock, TX 79404.