- Covenant House Faith Community, a Christian community committed to prayer, community, and service, seeks full-time volunteers to work with homeless youth for a 13-month commitment. Applications are accepted year-round for volunteers in cities in the United States and Canada. Contact Covenant House Faith Community, Orientation Director, 346 W. 17th St., New York, NY 10011-5002; email@example.com; (212) 727-4990.
- LARCHE Mobile, a Christian Community where people with a mental handicap live together as a family with non-handicapped people, needs live-in assistants to mentally handicapped adults to live, work, and share their lives together. Contact Martin E. OMalley, 151-A S. Ann St., Mobile, AL 36604.
- Paxton Ministries, a Christian residential facility for poor and disadvantaged adults in Harrisburg, Penn., is seeking voluntary service workers willing to serve a term of six months to one year. Volunteer workers at Paxton Ministries live in a Christian community setting together with staff and residents and receive a stipend, health insurance, and room and board. Current openings are in the kitchen, maintenance, housekeeping/laundry, and other departments. All staff and volunteer workers meet daily for devotions. Contact Darrel Reinford, 2001 Paxton St., Harrisburg, PA 17111; (717) 236-5508; firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Catholic Network of Volunteer Services (CNVS), a resource center for lay volunteer and mission programs, seeks an individual to serve on marketing and communications projects. Strong administrative, writing, and computer skills are required. Send a letter and rTsumT to Gerry Lambert, Associate Director, CNVS, 4121 Harewood Road NE, Washington, DC 20017; email@example.com; fax (202) 526-1094. No phone calls, please.
- North Presbyterian Church seeks a full-time pastor. The individual must lead the church in developing contemporary, inclusive, multicultural aspects of church life. Contact North Presbyterian Church, 3025 W. 37th Ave., Denver, CO 80211; Nrthchurch@aol.com.
- The Massachusetts Council of Churches seeks a seminary-trained, ecumenically committed person with skills in ethics and public policy, writing, and speaking to serve as associate director. The application deadline is November 15. Send cover letter, rTsumT, and references to Massachusetts Council of Churches, 14 Beacon St., Rm. 416, Boston, MA 02108.
- An executive director is sought for the Risingville Inter-community Service Effort (RISE), a service mission activity associated with Chatham United Methodist Church in Chatham, N.J. The position is part-time and salaried. Duties include coordinating teams of youth and adults, from churches in many states, to repair homes each summer in Steuben County, N.Y. Call Dan Gepford, (908) 377-6756.
- Exodus World Service, a nonprofit organization that mobilizes church volunteers for refugee ministry, is seeking an executive director. The individual must have business, networking, and communication skills and will be responsible for management, development, and research. For more information, visit www.e-w-s.org. To apply, send a cover letter and rTsumT to Exodus World Service, Search Committee, P.O. Box 620, Itasca, IL 60143-0620.
- First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), a medium-sized congregation in the downtown/ university area in Tucson, Ariz., is looking for a minister to fan the flames of faith and service in the 21st century. Contact Debbie Stadle in the evenings, (520) 326-8232.
- The Northwest Bronx Community and Clergy Coalition, a 25-year-old Bronx neighborhood alliance, has two positions open. An education organizer will coordinate campaigns to increase student performance in schools by working with parent leaders and impacting government policy. Three years experience and fluency in Spanish are required. A clergy and congregation outreach coordinator is sought to deepen and expand links with area religious institutions. Three years experience and a degree in religion and/or Spanish are preferred. Contact NWBCCC@IGC.ORG.
- The Oregon Farm Worker Ministry seeks a mature individual with commitment to the farm workers struggle for justice, community organizing experience, and office skills. Contact Rev. Ed Brandt, 390 N. Kings Valley Highway, Dallas, OR 97338; (503) 623-5153.
- First Presbyterian Church in Mt. Holly, N.J., seeks an individual (ordained or a candidate for ordination) who senses a call to local and global missions and to fosterring adult discipleship to fill the position of associate pastor for mission and discipleship. Contact Mike Rivera, Associate Pastor Nominating Committee, 125 Garden St., Mt. Holly, NJ 08060.
- Goldenrod, a unique interdependent community being developed in the Amish countryside near Middlebury, Ind., is seeking live-in caregivers and companions to provide a nurturing environment in a faith community for adults with autism and other disabilities. Compensation includes room, board, and $500 a month. There is opportunity to be employed at least part-time outside the home. The community will also include retirees as foster grandparents, organic gardening, holistic health clinic, and facilities for exercise and recreation. Contact: Mennonite Disabilities Committee, 1518 College Ave., Goshen, IN 46526; (219) 533-9720; Menno.Dis@juno.com.
Retreats and Conferences
- Rivier College in Nashua, N.H., will host an academic symposium, "Against Forgetting: Oscar Romero, the Central American Martyrs, and the Public Witness of the Church." Proposals for panels, individual papers, and creative works are being accepted until October 30. Contact the Center for Peace and Social Justice, Rivier College, 420 S. Main St., Nashua, NH 03060; (603) 897-8481.
- A couple working in community development in Lima, Peru, wants to connect with other Sojourners readers. Please respond to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following individuals in prison request correspondence from people outside of prison:
K. Tabono Camara, D.O.C.#910878, Indiana State Prison, P.O. Box 41, Michigan City, IN 46361; Dennis Wayne Shaw, 12071 fm 3522 #459624, French Robertson Unit, Abilene, TX 79601; Richard Thorson, #J40605, H102L, P.O. Box 2000, Vacaville, CA 45696; Lee T. Collier, #880217, P.O. Box 1111, Carlisle, IN 47838; Angel M. Medrano, #44173, Arizona State Prison-Eyman, P.O. Box 3400/SMU-II, Florence, AZ 85232; Stanley M. Grayson, #266082, 2A02, Sussex II State Prison, 24427 Musselwhite Dr., Waverly, VA 23891-2222; John A. Kachovee, #352254, P.O. Box 7010, RCI 4B101, Chillicothe, OH 45601-7010.