Afghanistan Weekly Digest: Afghan Mothers. Taliban. Osama bin Laden
[Editors' note: As part of Sojourners' campaign to end the war in Afghanistan, we will run a weekly Afghanistan news digest to educate our readers about the latest news and developments related to the war, the U.S. military's strategy, and the people impacted by our decisions. Read more about our campaign at www.sojo.net/afghanistan.]
Take Action on This Issue
- Afghanistan hell for mothers, too: "Sadly, it is not surprising that Afghanistan is again ranked as the worst place in the world to be a mother, according to Save the Children's annual State of the World's Mothers report, released Tuesday."
- Taliban warns Afghan civilians to stay clear of planned targets: "The militant group announces plans to attack foreign troops and urges 'all Afghan people' to avoid public gatherings, military bases, convoys and government buildings."
- Afghanistan: time for the U.S. to go: "In the wake of Osama bin Laden's death, the logic for America's longest ever war has become unsustainable."
- What Does bin Laden's Death Mean for the War in Afghanistan?: "The killing of Osama bin Laden will reshape the Obama administration's ongoing fight against al Qaeda and other terror groups by ridding the United States of its primary battlefield target. But it could have an even bigger impact on public support for the Afghan war itself."
- Kabul welcomes Osama bin Laden's death: "Afghan President Hamid Karzai on Monday welcomed the reported killing of al-Qaida network leader Osama bin Laden in Pakistan and urged NATO-led troops to chase terrorists outside Afghanistan."
- The Hunt for Bin Laden, in Numbers: Mother Jones provides us with a few statistics on the cost of the war and hunt for Osama bin Laden.
+Participate in Sojourners' campaign to End the War in Afghanistan and Share the Sacrifice. Tell President Obama and Vice President Biden to keep their commitment to start troop withdrawal from Afghanistan in July 2011.
Hannah Lythe is policy and outreach associate at Sojourners.