Supervisor: Chief Strategy and Program Officer
Sojourners seeks an energetic and dedicated individual to serve as Director of Communications to guide communications efforts for the organization with an emphasis on interfacing with the media. The Director of Communications works directly with the Chief Strategy and Program Officer, as well as the Advocacy and Campaigns, Web, and Development teams, to integrate organizational messaging to local, national, and international media on issues of peace and nonviolence, social justice, creation care, immigration reform, and poverty. The Director ensures organizational communications are in line with the President’s message and priorities, schedules interviews, manages press events, and ensures messaging consistency over several public platforms. The Director of Communications will supervise the Communications Assistant and work closely with the President, the President’s Senior Executive Assistant, and the Assistant to the President.
Press Relations for Sojourners’ President
- Leverage the President’s voice through pitching and media booking to national, political, and religious media by phone and email.
- Work with the Chief Strategy and Program Officer on developing and implementing new media opportunities to leverage the President’s voice.
- Develop and implement, with other campaign staff and the President, communications strategy and talking points.
- Leverage other organizational spokespersons, through pitching and media booking to national, political, and religious media by phone and email.
- Liaise with outside partners in nationwide campaign efforts; spearhead communications teams for several formal organizational partnerships as needed.
- Oversight and editorial control of media advisories, press releases, and press kits.
- Hold on-the-record responsibilities with national and international press outlets with strategic and appropriate use of the President’s voice and contribution to press stories; serve as a spokesperson for the organization as directed, guided by the President and the Chief Strategy and Program Officer.
- Conduct all background interviews for reporters’ benefit.
- Handle media inquiries, schedule interviews, and prepare briefing documents to assist organizational spokespersons.
- Identify and maintain relationships with reporters interested in the unique perspective and work of Sojourners and organizational spokespersons.
- Lead the monitoring of news coverage around Sojourners’ priority issues and coverage of the organization. Identify opportunities to comment on stories of interest.
- Manage media-related projects, including press conferences, events, and projects as assigned.
- Write or draft blog posts on organizational issues or campaigns.
- Manage Communications Assistant on interview logistics, briefings, interview preparation, and substantial media training.
- Maintain contracts and financial responsibilities, interface with contractors, project management.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience in communications work, and/or vocational interest in areas including strategic planning, message development, coalition work, budgeting, program evaluation, and supervision.
- Comfort learning new software and experience with varying online media platforms, including: Facebook, Twitter, blogs, online communities, and websites. Knowledge of building online audiences and communities desired.
- Knowledge of social and economic justice issues and scriptural tenets that undergird organization involvement in them. Ability to speak from personal and institutional faith perspective. Understanding of and commitment to Sojourners’ faith-based mission.
- Excellent communication skills, including writing and editing, and speaking comfort and experience.Exceptional organizational skills to handle several assignments simultaneously, attention to detail, ability to multitask and prioritize. Ability to oversee staff team and their project assignments in addition to personal workload. Excellent interpersonal skills essential.
- Ideal candidate will show great discretion on appropriate use of CEO’s voice and contribution to press stories.
- Ideal candidate will have background in the following: creative direction, campaign management, polling and research, large event management.
Please send a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and three professional reference contacts email@example.com or Director of Communications Search, Sojourners, 3333 14th St. NW, Suite 200, Washington, DC 20010. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Sojourners is an equal opportunity employer that continually seeks to diversify its staff. Women and persons of color are highly encouraged to apply. Excellent benefits package includes fully paid health insurance, 20 days paid vacation, 401(k) plan, and a positive, faith-based work environment.