Messaging and Mobilizing Team
Supervisor: Rob Wilson-Black, CEO
Start Date: January 19, 2015
Sojourners is seeking an experienced and dedicated Director of Advocacy and Communications with an understanding of our work and mission to join our Washington, D.C. office to help plan and manage our issue campaigns, media strategy, advocacy and policy development, and constituency building.
* Provide political and policy advice to organizational leadership.
* Develop and oversee executive and organizational messaging and communications efforts.
* Manage relationships with public sector and government representatives, including Congress and the White House.
* Design and implement Sojourners’ campaigns initiatives.
* Maintain and build relationships with external partners and coalitions.
* Evaluate sign-on and endorsement opportunities.
* Facilitate weekly political and messaging meetings.
* Assist in development of online organizing strategy, content, and technology to advance campaign goals.
* Coordinate with Advancement Team and others on campaign and funding development.
* Provide support for The Summit.
* Develop and oversee organization’s Campaigns and Communications staff and budgets.
* Writing of statements, blogs, and other writing as needed.
* Other duties as assigned.
* Knowledge of social and economic justice issues and scriptural tenets that undergird organization involvement in them; ability to speak from personal and institutional faith perspective; and understanding of and commitment to Sojourners’ faith-based mission.
* Excellent communication skills, including writing and editing, speaking and briefing.
* Five to seven years’ organizing experience, including strategic planning, message and media development, advocacy, campaigns, coalition work, budgeting, program evaluation, and supervision.
* Knowledge and experience with multiple media platforms; proven success with earned media, press pitching, and social media.
* Online organizing experience, including building online audiences and communities.
* Exceptional organizational skills to handle several assignments simultaneously, attention to detail, and ability to multitask and prioritize; ability to oversee campaigns and communications teams and their project assignments in addition to personal workload; excellent interpersonal skills essential.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional reference contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org or Director of Advocacy and Communications Search, Sojourners, 3333 14th St. NW, Suite 200, Washington, DC 20010. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Sojourners is an equal opportunity employer that continually seeks to diversify its staff. Women and persons of color are highly encouraged to apply. Excellent benefits package includes fully paid health insurance, 20 days paid vacation, 401(k) plan, and a positive, faith-based work environment.