Messaging and Mobilizing Team
Supervisor: Director of Campaigns and Advocacy
Start Date: June 1, 2013 (one-year position; opportunity for extension pending funding)
Job Function: The Creation Care Campaign Associate assists all aspects of Sojourners campaign on climate change and environmental stewardship by (a) implementing campaign strategy, (b) building and managing relationships with key coalitions, partner organizations, and individuals, and (c) providing support on key communications components of the campaign, including press events, social media, blogging, and other writing projects as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identify opportunities for Sojourners to engage constituents, partners, and influencers on climate change related issues.
- Facilitate ongoing coalition work (conference calls, meetings, event planning, and projects) and strengthen/build relationships with partners, both individual and organizational.
- Track media, messaging, and policy on climate and environmental issues — provide regular updates to team members and input on internal campaign strategy.
- Manage social media related to the campaign, generate blog content on topics relevant to the campaign, and provide feedback to magazine staff as requested.
- Promote and disseminate faith-specific resources such as magazine articles, blog posts, small group materials, scriptural analysis, and other resources to help supporters reach their friends, church members, and relatives with our message.
- Integrate the work of the faith community and the broader environmental movement where appropriate.
- Respond to constituent inquiries via e-mail and phone as needed.
- Provide administrative, publication, and scheduling support for events as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least two years’ experience in a public policy, organizing, or project management role.
- At least one year experience working on climate change issues or a directly related field. Educational background in environmental policy, environmental sciences, or a related degree considered advantageous.
- Knowledge of intersection between faith and politics, social justice issues, and relationship to the federal policy system.
- Excellent written communication skills. Writing sample may be requested.
- Demonstrated experience in event planning, exceptional organizational skills, and commitment to working in a collaborative environment.
- Ability to think creatively and willingness to take on new challenges.
- Commitment to the mission and vision of Sojourners and an understanding of its place in the progressive Christian church world; comfort working in a faith-based environment with Christians from a variety of denominational backgrounds.
Please send a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and three professional reference contacts firstname.lastname@example.org or Creation Care Campaign Associate Search, Sojourners, 3333 14th St. NW, Suite 200, Washington, DC 20010. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Sojourners is an equal opportunity employer that continually seeks to diversify its staff. Women and persons of color are highly encouraged to apply. Excellent benefits package includes fully paid health insurance, 20 days paid vacation, 401(k) plan, and a positive, faith-based work environment.