Messaging and Mobilizing Team
Supervisor: Director of Advocacy and Communications
Sojourners has an immediate opening for an energetic and experienced Press Secretary to join our Washington, D.C. staff. The Press Secretary handles media requests and pitches for Jim Wallis and other Sojourners spokespersons, helping to elevate Sojourners’ voice in national, political, and religious media.
Media Relations for Sojourners’ President, Jim Wallis, and Sojourners
- Leverage the President’s voice through pitching and media booking.
- Identify and cultivate new opportunities to leverage and amplify the work of Jim Wallis and Sojourners in the media.
- Handle media inquiries, schedule interviews in consultation with the Executive Assistant to the President, and prepare briefing documents to assist organizational spokespersons.
- Build relationships with reporters interested in the unique perspective and work of Sojourners and organizational spokespersons; provide background interviews for reporters and on-the-record responsibilities, as needed.
- Lead the monitoring of news coverage around Sojourners’ priority issues and coverage of the organization; identify opportunities to comment on stories of interest.
- Write and distribute media advisories, press releases, and press kits.
- Manage media-related projects, including press conferences, events, and projects as assigned.
- Manage the Communications Assistant (intern) on interview logistics, briefings, interview preparation, and substantial media training.
- Assist the President and Director of Advocacy and Communications in developing and implementing communications strategy and talking points.
Managing the President’s Public Voice
- Assist the President with writing and editing of op-eds, columns, statements, articles, books, and social media.
- Draft briefing materials and talking points for President and other organizational spokespeople.
- Staff the President and other organizational spokespeople at press events, interviews, and any other opportunities.
- Provide editorial and message feedback on books, podcasts, and other large communications projects as needed.
Providing Communications Support to Partners/Coalitions
- Liaise with outside partners in nationwide campaign efforts.
- Provide pitching, media booking, and writing capacity for coalitions and key partners working with organization.
- Experience in communications work, including pitching, media relations and follow-up, and media and messaging strategy.
- Experience with strategic planning, coalition work, budgeting, program evaluation, and supervision.
- Knowledge of the media and political world, as well as the church and religious world.
- Knowledge of social, racial, and economic justice issues and the biblical and theological foundations and frameworks for addressing them.
- Excellent communication skills, including writing and editing, and speaking comfort and experience.
- Exceptional organizational skills to handle several assignments simultaneously, attention to detail, ability to multitask and prioritize; excellent interpersonal skills essential.
- Ideal candidate will show great discretion on appropriate use of President’s voice and contribution to press stories.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional reference contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org or Press Secretary Search, Sojourners, 3333 14th St. NW, Suite 200, Washington, DC 20010. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Sojourners is an equal opportunity employer that continually seeks to diversify its staff. Women and persons of color are highly encouraged to apply. Excellent benefits package includes fully paid health insurance, 20 days paid vacation, 401(k) plan, and a positive, faith-based work environment.