Messaging and Mobilizing Team
Supervisor: Beau Underwood, Senior Director of Communications and Advocacy
Start Date: October 1, 2014 (two-year funded position)
Job Function: The Women and Girls Campaign Associate assists all aspects of Sojourners Women and Girls initiative by (a) implementing campaign strategy, (b) building and managing relationships with key coalitions, partner organizations, and individuals and (c) providing support on key communications components of the campaign, including press events, social media, blogging, and other writing projects as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identify strategic opportunities for Sojourners to engage constituents, partners, and influencers on priority issues, including addressing domestic and sexual violence in the church and society; increasing and supporting women’s leadership in the church; and identifying ways for Sojourners to work with other organizations to end human trafficking across the globe.
- Facilitate work with existing partners and coalitions (conference calls, meetings, event planning, and projects), while strengthening/building relationships with new allies.
- Track media, messaging, and policy on priority issues for the campaign -- provide regular updates to team members and input on internal campaign strategy.
- Manage social media related to the campaign, generate blog content on topics relevant to the campaign, and provide feedback to magazine staff as requested.
- Promote and disseminate faith-specific resources such as magazine articles, blog posts, small group materials, scriptural analysis, and other resources to help our members reach their friends, church members, and relatives with our message.
- Integrate the work of the faith community with secular allies where appropriate.
- Respond to constituent inquiries via e-mail and phone as needed.
- Provide administrative, publication, and scheduling support for events as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least 2 years’ experience in a public policy, communications, outreach, organizing, or project management role.
- At least 1 year experience working on women and girls issues or a directly related field. Educational background in political science, human rights, gender studies, theology, or a related degree considered advantageous.
- Demonstrable understanding of social change, especially in relationship to the intersection of faith, social justice, and public policy.
- Excellent written communication skills (writing sample may be requested); public speaking experience a plus.
- Demonstrated experience in event planning, exceptional organizational skills, and commitment to working in a collaborative environment.
- Ability to think creatively and willingness to take on new challenges.
- Comfort working in a faith-based environment with Christians from a variety of denominational backgrounds.
- Understanding of Sojourners’ mission, vision, and values; familiarity with the issues for which Sojourners is known; and ability to articulate the biblical basis for Sojourners’ work.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three professional reference contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org or Women and Girls Campaign Associate Search, Sojourners, 3333 14th St. NW, Suite 200, Washington, DC 20010. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Sojourners is an equal opportunity employer that continually seeks to diversify its staff. Persons of color are highly encouraged to apply. Excellent benefits package includes fully paid health insurance, 20 days paid vacation, 401(k) plan, and a positive, faith-based work environment.